Friday, July 24, 2009

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It

I was just watching High Society, the 1956 hit musical based on The Philadelphia Story. Like so many great pre-WWII comedies redone in the 50s, it doesn't really compare. Of course, the weaker comedy and drama is made up a bit by some Cole Porter songs. (And one thing it has that you can't find in the original--Louis Armstrong.)

The Philadelphia Story was Katharine Hepburn's comeback film, and welcoming her back in town were two of the biggest stars around, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. High Society also features three major stars, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly (though the first choice was Elizabeth Taylor). The same situations, even the same lines, that are so brilliant in the original just sit there in the remake.

Which made me wonder what would have happened if Hepburn got the original cast she wanted? She requested Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy, two stars at least equal to Grant and Stewart at the time. Somehow, though, even under the direction of George Cukor, I just can't see them working out as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

Who would have played which characters? Would Tracy have played the ex? Either way, with Gable and Tracy in the cast, I think the film would have seemed a little earthier, if that's the word. Jimmy Stewart still looked so young in 1940.

I have a more favorable opinion of High Society than you do, though. Partly because it's one of my mom's favorites but mostly because of the sight of Grace Kelly in those Helen Rose designs. So perfect. I think she even has a line, something like "Do you like my dress? It's very heavy." That makes me laugh every time.

8:51 AM, July 24, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm guessing Gable would have played the Cary Grant role. Grant was bigger than Stewart and Gable was bigger than Tracy then. Besides, I can't see King Of Hollywood Gable not getting the girl.

Third-billed Jimmy Stewart won an Osacr for his role. He is great, but many believe he got it because he hadn't won the year before for Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. I still think Grant steals the film, spending half his time commenting on the action.

You can also see how this was Hepburn's comeback. She's wonderful, but the script also spends a lot of time cutting her down to size. (It'd get even worse when she starred with Tracy in Woman Of The Year.)

I was thinking of noting something else, but it didn't fit in the post. So let me just say it here--if someone asked me who's the most beautiful woman ever in movies, I'd probably say Grace Kelly.

9:09 AM, July 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter