Friday, October 30, 2009

Don't Be Cross

I was recently in Ann Arbor, home of my alma mater, the University of Michigan. A local free magazine listed the many activities occuring that month.

Comedian David Cross was in town. Here's what they said:

Cross reigns as one of the most brutally honest comedians you will ever hear, slaughtering every sacred cow in America's pasture, from the terrorist "threat" to gay marriage to abortion [....] You've been warned!

I've seen Cross and think he's great. Still, I have to wonder if anyone in his audience will really hear anything that goes against their views on terrorism, gay marriage or abortion.

Mind you, that's not a comedian's job. All he has to do is be funny. But whenever I hear that a comedian is brave, I ask myself if he truly says anything that challenges his audience's notions, or just strokes their prejudices.

4 Comments:

Anonymous NE guy said...

A truly brave comedian- saying things his audience didn't like (rather than things his audience thinks other people really won't like) probably can't by definition exist- except maybe Andy Kaufman (Elvis, Mighty Mouse, Wrestling) of course by the end some people went to see him wanting to be pissed off (I think a lot of cable news commentators works that way too but they're not labelled as comedians)

8:03 AM, October 30, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know if I'd go that far. A chancey comedian can take his audience to new places, make them look at things differently, and even make them feel a bit uncomfortable (though perhaps not for too long).

By the way, if it wasn't clear, I'm not attacking Cross. I was just bothered by the self-congratulory tone of the article.

8:10 AM, October 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because NE guy doesn't like cable commentators doesn't mean others don't like them. This is a common argument. That somehow popular public figures can't possible believe what they're saying, it's just a put-on to be popular.

10:41 AM, October 30, 2009  
Anonymous NE Guy said...

I didn't say I didn't like cable commentators or that nobody did ( clearly they don't, numbers don't don't lie). Some I like, some I hate, most I ignore. I did say that a lot of people who watch them deliberately do so in order to get pissed off by them - its seems to be why mom continues watch Bill O'Reilly- just so she can get outraged and call me up and tell me about it.

I'm sorry anonymous I will be more charitable in my future characterizations of screaming meatheads and their fans. oops

1:00 PM, October 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter