Friday, October 09, 2009

Oh Lord

In The New Yorker, Nancy Franklin gives a thumbs down to Jay Leno. Fine, but along the way, we get this:

...Leno can’t be criticized for the almost nightly mention of Kanye West his first week. Plus, it was a way to remind viewers (not that we had forgotten) that West happened to have appeared on Leno’s first night—right after he had upstaged Taylor Swift at an awards show. But you still have to get the jokes right. A few days later, Leno said that West was doing an album with Taylor Swift called “Ebony and Apology.” Shouldn’t it have been “Apology and Ivory”?

Sorry, Nancy, but Jay got the joke right. It's not a great joke, but that's how it's done. At the risk of making it less funny by explaining, here goes.

I recognize that Swift is the "ivory" of the pair, but "Apology and Ivory" will likely confuse the audience. "Ebony and..." sets off the recognition, while "Apology and..." means nothing, and may not be cleared up by "Ivory."

Furthermore, it's best to end with "Apology," which is the punchline. If you start with the punch, not only are you stepping on it by saying more, but, since recognition of the song title is necessary for the joke, you're attempting to retroactively make it the punchline, which, once again, leads to confusion.

Franklin may be right that Leno's show is failing, but I don't think her joke-writing skills will save it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Todd said...

I agree with your analysis.

As for the joke, and as a Letterman viewer, I unfortunately have to point out that it's better than what Dave usually serves up in his monologue...

...during which I'm often mentally following his "jokes" with the question, "How many writers does this guy have on staff?"

Todd

9:47 AM, October 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The New Yorker, good at cartoons, bad at punchlines.

9:48 AM, October 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Letterman has been on for years because of his contempt for the "joke"

11:54 AM, October 09, 2009  
Anonymous Ted K said...

I found this site from a link on that 3 Jews blog. Great stuff man. I swear to G-d man, when I read that Nancy Franklin (I get the print edition at home) column I was thinking the same thing man. I don't even LIKE Leno man, and I was replaying the joke in my head and thinking "How the heck else would you tell it???" Nancy Franklin isn't a good writer and on top of it she's an arrogant little c---. If you could tell me what actual performing she has done in her life to be so hyper-critical of others I would love to know. Like I said, I don't like Leno, but it was a cheap shot. Take care man.

1:22 PM, October 09, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks for checking us out, Ted K. I hope you become a regular, both as a reader and, if you like, a commenter.

2:10 PM, October 09, 2009  
Blogger Kenneth Burns said...

I just read that Franklin piece and had the same thought about the joke. Reminds me of Dick Cavett's discussion, in his book Cavett, of his days as a "Tonight Show" writer. He's good about explaining the sensibility of gag writing.

2:36 PM, February 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter