Monday, November 23, 2009

By George

From Variety's review of the New York City Center production of Girl Crazy:

Today's audiences know George Gershwin mostly for "Porgy and Bess," "Rhapsody in Blue," and his later film songs.

Ridiculous. Sure, people know the stuff listed above, but they also know the Gershwin songbook, which includes more songs from his early Broadway musicals than any other source.

What songs do I mean? You know, stuff like "Swanee," "Fascinating Rhythm," "Oh, Lady Be Good," "That Certain Feeling," "Sweet And Lowdown," "Clap Yo' Hands," "Do, Do, Do," "Someone To Watch Over Me," "The Man I Love," "Strike Up The Band," "I've Got A Crush On You," "Funny Face," "'S Wonderful," "He Loves And She Loves," "My One And Only," "Bidin' My Time," "Embraceable You," "I Got Rhythm" and "But Not For Me."

Or has Variety forgotten all that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter