Thursday, December 24, 2009

And Have A Kool Kwanzaa

Was recently at a store where the cashiers said "happy holidays." I'm sure they were told to say it.

As far as I'm concerned, they don't have to say anything. But if they're gonna talk, might as well be "happy holidays." Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I don't. Even if the majority does, "happy holidays" has a pedigree (goes back at least to Holiday Inn (1942) and probably earlier) and is inclusive.

Yet some insist this is a slam on Christmas. Sounds like they're looking to be insulted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

During the "holiday season", Happy Holidays seems fine. On the evening of December 24 or on December 25, it seems silly. Would you say "Happy Holidays" at midnight on December 31?

On the other hand, maybe I don't sufficiently empathize with people who are excluded. I'd be very happy if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, even though I'm not Jewish. In fact, I'd only be offended if someone told me to have an unhappy Hanukkah.

But here's a question that has been bothering me: Is it permissible to do a split-second "profile" of an individual to decide which greeting to use? Yesterday, on Christmas Eve, I was picking up two corned beef sandwiches at Jerry's Deli. The cashier at the register appeared Hispanic and his name tag said "Ygnacio". So I wished him a "Merry Christmas". What about this kind of profiling -- good? bad? neutral? Should specific wishes (for a happy Christmas or Hanukkah or Ramadan or Darwin Day) be given only when I actually know the person's beliefs or self-identification?

11:52 PM, December 25, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

You're picking up something at Jerry's Deli? They got Jerry's Deli where you live?

More than once I've been profiled on the street as a Jew by fellow Jews.

2:00 AM, December 26, 2009  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I'm in L.A. for the holidays [sic]. My family and my roots are still here. In fact, I don't much care for Washington DC at all....

11:40 AM, December 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter