Sunday, December 13, 2009

Merry Crimble

The Beatles recorded a Christmas song, but never officially released it. They sent it to out via their annual present to fans. It just a doodle and never caught on, but it's pretty catchy.



But both John and Paul, as solo acts, recorded their own Christmas song. Neither was exactly a hit, but the songs get played a lot this time of year.

John, as you might expect, had a message--war is over (if you want it). He even took out billboards to that effect. I admire how he put his money where his mouth is, though the effectiveness of his campaign is still highly in doubt.

It's not a bad tune, but it doesn't rank with his best solo work, much less his Beatles' stuff.



Then there's Paul's tune. It's regularly attacked as being too poppy (a popish plot!) and mindess. People use John's anthem to beat Paul over the head with, but I'll take a well-crafted tune over grandiose but vague wishes any day.

It's been 30 years since Paul recorded this, and I hope it's not too heretical to say I prefer it to John's song.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I prefer the McCartney song myself, though I enjoy Lennon's as well. The message in Happy Christmas doesn't bother me - it is platitudinous, much as many Christmas songs ("Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men," etc.). Yoko's drone in the chorus is more of a problem for me.

The Beatles did another Christmas ditty - "Everywhere It's Christmas" - also from one of their fan-club holiday gifts. Although it was less professionally produced (just voices and piano, and the Beatles kid around a lot), I think it is a more complete song.

7:59 AM, December 14, 2009  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I prefer the McCartney song myself, though I enjoy Lennon's as well. The message in Happy Christmas doesn't bother me - it is platitudinous, much as many Christmas songs ("Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men," etc.). Yoko's drone in the chorus is more of a problem for me.

The Beatles did another Christmas ditty - "Everywhere It's Christmas" - also from one of their fan-club holiday gifts. Although it was less professionally produced (just voices and piano, and the Beatles kid around a lot), I think it is a more complete song.

7:59 AM, December 14, 2009  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Today I heard "I Believe in Father Christmas" by ELP's Greg Lake on the radio. It's one of the most commonly played mainstream rock Christmas songs (perhaps third, after Lennon's song and "Do They Know It's Christmas").

Which is odd, since the song is explicitly atheist. I'm not one of those who demands that all Christmas music be religious, but I still find it very strange....

10:57 AM, December 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter