Saturday, December 26, 2009

Nine Short Of A Minyan

Here's something a bit odd. At The Volokh Conspiracy, Randy Barnett writes:

As a Jew growing up on [sic] an overwhelmingly Catholic town–there were 4 Jews in my high school class of 400–I experienced considerable antisemitism.

Really? Where did he grow up? Because in my high school class of 550 people, located in the suburbs of Detroit, I was the only Jew, and I don't really recall any antisemitism. (Actually, I don't recall any unitiated discussion of Judaism one way or another.)

I suppose most of my friends knew I was Jewish, but it wasn't generally known to the school at large. I lived in fairly populous Macomb County, which did not have a significant Jewish population. In fact, there was no synagogue in my school district, and only one in Macomb--years before, most of Detroit's Jewish population had moved west to the tonier suburbs of Oakland County.

I remember once going to a friend's house for dinner. They offered some pork-filled sausages and I said no thanks. They joked "what's wrong, is it against your religion?" I replied "as a matter of fact, it is. I'm Jewish." They thought I was offended and became highly apologetic. I actually felt bad about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous personal statement review said...

The necessary objects and details would allow students regarding all those concerns and prospects which are even said to be important.

5:18 AM, December 07, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter