Sunday, December 20, 2009

We'll Be Singing The Songs We Love To Sing

For years I've been performing Christmas carols with a group at old peoples' homes. Today's our day. So I thought I'd list, alphabetically, my top twenty favorite Christmas songs to perform. (Not necessarily to listen to.)

Looking at the list, I see I tend to prefer contemporary and bouncy:

"The Chipmunk Song"

"Deck The Halls"

"Feliz Navidad"

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

"Hark The Herald Angels Sing"

"A Holly Jolly Christmas"

"It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" (all the words)

"Jingle Bell Rock"

"Joy To The World"

"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" (we do a lot of songs about snow, though it never snows here)

"A Marshmallow World"

"O Little Town Of Bethlehem"

"Rest Ye Merry" (as we call it)

"Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"

"Silent Night"

"We Three Kings Of Orient Are"

"We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (our big closer)

"White Christmas" (including the verse, which sets the song in Beverly Hills)

"Winter Wonderland"

That's only the top 19. I left my favorite for last:

"Sleigh Ride"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bad at names what about "Silver Bells" (not the slow one but the faster one that Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn abused in their 80s SNL sketch about the big-haired singing sisters) It seems to have sad ominous edge to it (I'm almost sure thats not the intention) but it reminds me Edgar Allan Poe's "The Bells" (maybe my high school english teacher just declaimed it that way) and sounds a little like the theme music from the 70s devil flics (The Exorcist, The Omen). A non-traditional interpretation perhaps

9:02 AM, December 20, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I like "Silver Bells" but it didn't quite make the list, partially because it's tough to pull off. Doesn't sound in the least ominous to me.

9:42 AM, December 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quick search on the net indicates I was referring to "Carol of the Bells" not "Silver Bells"

4:29 PM, December 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garrison Keillor does not agree.

5:32 AM, December 21, 2009  
Blogger Susan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:29 AM, March 15, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter