Monday, October 18, 2010

Go, Chuck, Go

Harry Reid was recently asked to name the greatest living American.  He chose Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd, both dead.

If someone asked me, I think I might pick Chuck Berry. Sure, he's had personal problems, but he created the template for rock and roll. Believe it or not, he's 84 today.

He only had one #1 hit--"My Ding-a-ling" in 1972. But forget about that. He wrote a bunch of songs in the 50s and 60s that comprise as great a songbook as anyone's.

Someone once asked him why he wrote songs that white kids liked. He responded "are there more white people or black people?"

So Chuck, this day's for you. Sorry about all that time you had to spend in jail.

He was fine performer too, but I suggest you listen to the records--the originals.



1 Comments:

Blogger QueensGuy said...

The Great Twenty Eight may well be the best road trip CD of all time.

9:01 AM, October 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter