Saturday, January 23, 2010

This Is The End

Here's a short essay by Seth Stevenson on why the American version of Life On Mars sucks. Never saw the British version, so can't compare it. Actually, I only saw the final episode of the flop American series, the one with the big twist. Here's what Stevenson has to say. (No spoilers, unless you check the link):

This is, without doubt, the stupidest thing I have ever seen happen on a scripted TV show. It insults the intelligence of everyone, living and dead, who has ever followed the logical narrative arc of a television series.[...] Just recalling this has compelled me to raise my hands from my laptop keyboard so I can use them to firmly slap my own forehead.

Really? I didn't think it was that bad. Even kind of liked it. Of course, I had nothing invested in the show or its characters. But certainly it can't touch the ending of St. Elsewhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Why in the world do Americans remake English television shows like The Office or Life on Mars anyway? Why not just show the originals on television here? Imagine if we re-made Beatles songs or David Bowie songs with all-American musicians, changing "the fireman never wears a Mac" to "the fire fighter doesn't wear a raincoat" and "wham bam thank-you ma'am" to "wham bam thank-you babe", and all the critics raved about how close the remakes were to the originals. Who in the world would think that was a good idea?

3:11 PM, January 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter