Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Big Man And A Young Man

Fess Parker and Alex Chilton recently died. I don't have too much to say about either, but they both made their contribution to the world of popular culture.

Parker's heyday was before my time, but from what I understand, it's hard to overstate the popularity of his Davy Crockett. Yet I always preferred the Daniel Boone theme song:



I have a 45 with Fess Parker singing the song:



The B-side features the Davy Crockett theme.

Chilton made some good music, and was a major inspiration to a lot of melodic rockers, especially The Replacements, who even wrote a song about him.



People mostly talk about Chilton's work with Big Star in the 70s, but to me it's amazing that when he sang lead for the Box Tops, he had a huge hit when only 16:



It takes less than 2 minutes. If you think that's too short, I suggest you play it again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was "Daniel Boone" the one with Ed Ames as the crotch attacking injun?

My unfortunate memory of Dan'l Boone was the unthinkingly racist version of the thmese song that I remember kids singing in early grade school

7:01 AM, March 20, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that version of the Daniel Boone song was better known than the original.

9:42 AM, March 20, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Star was as much Chris Bell's band as Alex's. As a huge "placemats" fan I have to give credit where it is due. Alex on The letter, one of the best rock vocals.

AAGuy

10:00 PM, March 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter