Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No Child Left Behind

I vaguely remember the name Peg Bracken from my childhood.  She came out with The I Hate To Cook Book in 1960 and it sold for decades.  It's been out of print for a while, though, so I'm glad to see an updated version is being published.

Back when she wrote it, women were expected to cook the meals, and I assume plenty saw it as an awful chore.  Simple recipes that included pre-canned and packaged ingredients must have seemed a godsend.

Bracken was a copywriter, and I hear much of the charm of the book is in her style.  I don't really buy cookbooks, but this one sounds like fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a Robert Klein standup bit about Peg Bracken. About her voice, I recall. He did it TV and he did it live when I saw him at college in the mid 80s. He said that if that convicted murderers were forced to listen to Peg Bracken all day, they would be incabale of killing again (with the possible exception of Peg Bracken). I never knew who she was but the joke worked anyway

8:06 AM, August 24, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Yes, I remember that impression. In fact, when I read about Peg Bracken, that was the first thing I thought of.

8:07 PM, August 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter