Saturday, August 28, 2010

Seldon Seen

As you may know, I often write these post ahead of time. All I have to do is put down the hour and date and that's when it appears on the blog. (For instance, I'm writing this in the middle of August.)

It occurs to me if I'm hit by a bus tomorrow, my faithful readers wouldn't notice anything for a couple weeks.

Then I realized I could be Hari Seldon. As long as this blogger program keeps going, I could write entries that won't go out for years, even decades.  I could keep appearing long after everyone alive today is gone.

I'm not saying I could predict what will be relevant in 500 years. But then, neither could Seldon.

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I finallygot around to the Foundation trilogy this summer-lots of drive time so it was an audiobook-somehow I'm really bummed that it isn't spelled "Harry Selden"- I liked the idea of a guy with an ordinary schmo name being the architect of the future. I also liked that 20000 years in the future everybody will sound like the tough guys from 1940s war movies

7:20 PM, August 28, 2010  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

NEGuy wrote: I also liked that 20000 years in the future everybody will sound like the tough guys from 1940s war movies.

I, too, love the dialogue and cultural assumptions in old science fiction stories.

The greatest of all space operas, E. E. Smith's Lensman series, is set thousands of years in the future. The Lensmen are interstellar police and military force who topple alien dictatorships and battle humanity's ancient foes.

And they chain-smoke and drink coffee. Constantly. Even while delivering lectures on the evils of alien drugs.

6:23 PM, August 29, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter