Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This Is Not An Onion Article

Frito Lay has repackaged its Sun Chips in a new "green" vegetable-based biodegradable bag which is very loud. Read about it here. The bag is apparently really, really loud.

Squeezing the bag results in a 95 decibel noise.

There is a Facebook group with close to 30,000 members called "SORRY BUT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS SUN CHIPS BAG" with hundreds of angry comments, the best of which is "It's the worst when your stoned at 2am and trying to not wake up the house"

Frito-Lay who apparently thought it was a good idea to print "100% COMPOSTABLE" in big letters across the top of the bag and to run commercials showing a bag decomposing in a landfill has also engaged in counter-marketing with signs in stores reading " "Yes, the bag is loud, that's what change sounds like."

While this has all the appearances of a marketing disaster (Frito Lay reports that sales are down and there "may be" a link to the packaging), I'm curious. I never eat Sun Chips unless the vending machine is out of every thing else but now I have to go out and hear this bag.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was confused by what the sound was. I thought it was if you popped open the bag. But I checked YouTube and found a bunch of Sunchips videos, such as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWelTDdHJM or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCBmu6rCZg&feature=related

6:17 PM, August 18, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on this post, I just had to touch the bag when I saw it in the supermarket. It is, indeed, loud.

2:44 PM, August 22, 2010  
Anonymous Bonnie said...

It is loud; very, very, very loud.

3:51 PM, August 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter