Friday, September 24, 2010

It's My Fault

On Monday, between House and Hawaii Five-0, I watched The Event.  It was filled with cliches, and no performance stood out, but it was lively and might be okay. (Or it might just be another FlashForward.)

But what this means is I didn't watch the network debut that probably gotten the best notices this season, Lone Star.  In fact, a lot of people were like me.  So many that the trades are already talking about its imminent cancelation.

The show was given a great slot, behind House, a true hit, but it lost a stunning 68% of its lead-in.  It also dropped viewers by the quarter hour.  The Monday slot at 9 is highly competitive, with ABC, CBS and NBC all putting up solid competition, but many feel the concept wasn't appealing and the ad campaign confused people.

I planned to catch up with the show (though I don't think Fox is On Demand), but I guess all those people who didn't feel the need to check out the premiere doomed it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I felt sort of taken by V and Flash Forward last year, so I haven't mustered the energy to watch The Event. The previews I saw didn;t intice me. Hope I'm not making the same mistake I made with Lost.

I did watch Raising Hope. That show is intriguing. I have to say, I didn't laugh much at all during the show, but I also couldn't take my eyes off it.

It's entrancing in a way like Earl was - in that you watch and can't imagine how much "worse" it can get. The characters are utterly inept - which is funny, but not in a-laugh-out-loud way. The peak was two (2) yes 2 people throwing up on a baby.

That might turn you off from the description, but it wasn't graphically displayed, and so far they are maitaining just enough sweetness or innocence that I'm giving it another shot.

The key will be the sales clerk (the "normal" person) whom I presume will enter the lives of these incredible misfits and provide the needed balance. Cloris Leachman, as the senile great grandma who has moments of lucidity, also promises to be a high point.

8:18 AM, September 24, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I missed both Raising Hope and Running Wilde. I'm not sure if I have room in my schedule for more sitcoms. Neither sounded great (and I don't get Will Arnett), but the EPs are good enough that they deserve a chance.

3:06 PM, September 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter