Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Today, the Northeast Conference Title, Tomorrow...

Well LA Guy likes to blog about his alma mater's football team so I thought I would do a quick shout out to mine. The Gators of Allegheny College are getting some TV exposure as they take on their hated rivals from....somewhere in Ohio I think. (Actually they can be pretty good- they won the Division III Title about 20 years ago- I watched the title game (or some of it) on ESPN on Christmas morning (which means I saw more Allegheny football that holiday than in my 4 years on campus). Anyway, this little nugget popped up in my inbox earlier this morning:

On Saturday, September 25, at 12 p.m., Gator fans can tune in to FSN Pittsburgh to watch Allegheny take on the Wittenberg Tigers at Frank B. Fuhrer Field

Apparently thats the name of the home field these days. I must have missed that announcement. Mr. Fuhrer has no doubt generously supported the institution in innumerable and meaningful ways and he is even somewhat of a celebrity having owned the World Team Tennis Pittsburgh Triangles and later served as the league commissioner (I think he shows up as an answer- I mean question- on Jeopardy due the fact that his predecessor in that job was named Kaiser), but really its not a name which trips lollingly off the tongue. And officially, I think you have to use the full name- Just "Fuhrer Field" is probably not appropriate for obvious reasons but even saying "Frank Fuhrer Field" makes it sound like you're giving Anne and Adolf co-billing. So guys, good luck at the old Frank B. Fuhrer

Anyway I thank the school for letting me know that if I wanted to, I could fly to Pittsburgh to watch the Gators play on TV this week-end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go--I'll bet your mom wouldn't mind one bit!

3:23 PM, September 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter