Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gleeless Non-Event

The A.V. Club just put up its list of the top 25 TV series of 2010:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Community
3. Parks And Recreation
4. Louie
5. Mad Men
6. Party Down
7. Terriers
8. Lost
9. The Good Wife
10. Cougar Town
11. Friday Night Lights
12. The Daily Show
13. Modern Family
14. Justifed
15. Fringe
16. Boardwalk Empire
17. Sherlock
18. Children's Hospital
19. 30 Rock
20. Huge
21. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
22. Archer
23. Eastbound & Down
24. United States Of Tara
25. Doctor Who

I'm not too impressed with the lower rungs, but I'll give them credit for some excellent picks at the top.

Some of the shows I haven't seen, but a fair number I've given a chance to.  A few I've given a bunch of chances, but I haven't been able to get into them.  These include United States Of Tara, Eastbound & Down, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Children's Hospital, Boardwalk Empire (at least they didn't pick Treme), Fringe, Friday Night Lights and Cougar Town.  I'm not saying all these shows are terrible--they're probably all better than Nurse Jackie--I just don't think they're worth making time for.

They list 30 Rock but not The Office.  Both shows are getting tired, but you might as well have both if you have one.

Modern Family at #13?  The show is overpraised, but still a little low.

Lost at #8?  That seems fair.  The show may be my favorite of all time, but its final season was the weakest.

I like The Daily Show, but not as much as they do.  And they like it for the wrong reason--they actually think it gives out useful information.

I've avoided The Good Wife.  Maybe I should take a look.

A very impressive top six.  Parks And Recreation doesn't fit, but the others may be the top five shows of the year.  I know they have a thing for Community at the A.V. Club (so do I), so it wasn't a complete surprise to see it ranked so high, but let's hear if for the equally great and mostly forgotten Party Down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter