Sunday, January 30, 2011

Miracles Do Happen

Hey, Marty Balin turns 69 today. Lead singer for the Jefferson Airplane/Starship, he was an interesting contrast to Grace Slick.

The Airplane was a legendary 60s psychedelic band, but when they changed their name to Starship and became less groundbreaking, they also sold more. I believe their #1, Red Octopus, has the honor of being the only abum to hit the top of the charts on four separate weeks. Its big hit was "Miracles," where Balin's sweet voice is an interesting contrast to the filthy words.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What filthy words?

That loungy song (which I always referred to as "If Only You Believe") annoyed me to no end as Junior High noviate to pop music in 1974 or 5 (?). On "the new sound of 13Q", I think they played that and Frankie Valli's "My Eyes Adored You" every 45 minutes or so for a couple months straight.

If I had known there were filthy lyrics, I would have paid more attention.
Damn, now "So Close, so close and yet so far away" is now stuck in my brain.

2:40 PM, January 30, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

How many top ten tunes can you name (before rap) that have lines like "I had a taste of the real world/ When I went down on you, girl"?

3:19 PM, January 30, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I knew what "went down" meant back then.

But KC & The Sunshine Band had "Get Down Tonight" which certain folks thought was pretty explicit not to mention "Play That F**kin' Music, White Boys"

3:59 PM, January 30, 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0522

michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
canada goose outlet
swarovski crystal
air jordan retro
michael kors outlet
lakers jerseys
true religion uk
michael kors handbags

6:56 PM, May 21, 2018  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

goyard handbags
balenciaga shoes
yeezy boost 350
van cleef arpels
basketball shoes
yeezy boost
adidas stan smith
yeezy boost 350 v2
nfl jerseys
yeezy boost 350

6:09 PM, May 23, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter