Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mars Mission

Kenneth Mars has died.  A few months ago I heard he was very ill, so I'm not surprised. He was a great comic character actor, and I've always felt a special connection to him.  I played Sir Evelyn Oakleigh in a high school production of Anything Goes, and listened to the cast album of the 1962 off-Broadway revival to learn the songs.  On it, playing Oakleigh, is Mars--I copied his voice for my characterization. (I still have a fake life preservers in the back of the closet with the name "Sir Evelyn" on it.) He played the part with a pretty extravagant British accent (so I did, too), and looking at his career, most of his best known roles have accents.

He started working on TV in the 60s and did hundreds of guest shots.  My favorite character might have been W. D. "Bud" Prize on Fernwood Tonight, sort of a hick, but nevertheless Ambassador at Large for the Fernwood Chamber of Commerce.  He always came on spreading bad ideas, and wore a very obvious chin-adjuster from his chinadontist.

One of his later TV roles that got him a lot of attention was the kindly, almost gullible Otto Mannkusser on Malcolm In The Middle.  He was Francis's boss and put up with almost anything.

He's best known for his film work.  Above all, for the first movie he did, Mel Brooks' The Producers.  He was Franz Liebkind, the Nazi playwright.  Mars more than holds his own with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder.  Here, without context, are some of his more famous lines:

Hitler... there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!

Baby! Baby!... Why does he say this "baby"? The Führer has never said "baby". I did not write, "baby". What is it with this, "baby"?

You will please be unconscious.

You shut up! You are the audience! I am the author! I OUTRANK you!

Almost as well known is Inspector Kemp from another Mel Brooks' film, Young Frankenstein.  Kemp is the local constable who investigates Dr. Frankenstein.  Mars takes this character, whose main comic features are a fake arm and an impenetrable accent, and spins it into comic gold.

Kemp: A riot is an ugly sink, unt, I think that it is just about time dat ve had vone!
[Crowd cheers.]
Kemp: Vith heaven as my vitness, ve vill curse de day dat dere vas born a Frankenschtein!
Crowd: What?
Kemp: I said ve vill curse de day dat dere vas born a Frankenschtein!
[Crowd cheers again.]

Kemp: As ze leader of zis community, may I be de first to offer you my hant in friendship.
[Kemp shakes the monster's hand; the crowd cheers.]
Monster: Thank you.
Kemp: You are entirely velcome. Unt now, let us all go to my house for a little spongecake unt a little vine, unt--
[As Kemp turns to leave, his wooden arm -- still grasping the monster's hand -- pops out.]
Kemp: --unt shit!
[He takes the arm and looks at it ponderingly.]
Kemp: To ze lumberyard!
[Crowd cheers and follows him out.]

He was also memorable is What's Up, Doc?, Radio Days and even the occasional serious role.  The world is a little less happy place today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter