Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not All There

Haven't caught Thurgood yet, the Laurence Fishburne one-man show on HBO about Thurgood Marshall.  I'll try to check it out, though I'm usually wary of shows that threaten to be good for me. Speaking of which, this review by Kenny Herzog at the A.V. Club has an odd comparison:

...the portrayal is respectfully distant from the sort of hagiographic fantasy often on display in theatrical biopics like, say, I’m Not There.

I'm Not There is a movie about Bob Dylan that featured six actors--including a woman and an African-American child--portraying different, often fictional, aspects of the man. It makes him out to be a lot of things, but never a saint.

It's not uncommon for a show based on someone's life to idealize the central character.  I'm Not There was doing something entirely different. That Thurgood--or any one-man show--would or could do anything similar is bizarre.

PS  I watched Thurgood.  Very well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter