Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Aftermath

Sir Mick Jagger turns 68 today.  I remember spending a lot of money for a ticket to a Rolling Stones concert over 20 years ago, figuring it would be their farewell.

It's hard to overstate how important the Stones were to rock and roll, especially in their first decade.  It's also hard to recapture how dangerous they seemed.  The Rolling Stones have continued to put out records, and tour, and Mick has had plenty of solo projects as well, but has anyone truly cared about any music he's made in the past 30 years?

But that's okay.  I just ignore the 80s, 90s, etc, and concentrate on the work he did before he was just another rich granddad.





4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

What was his quote in the late 1970s in Rolling Stone- something to the effect that "I'd rather be dead than singing "Satisfaction" when I'm forty-five."

Of course are Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend unhappy that unlike Keith Moon they didn't die before they got old. (Keith died at 32 which might have been which probably was considered old when wrote My Generation)

3:49 AM, July 26, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I can't imagine he said that in the late 70s when he was in his late 30s. Sound like something he said in his 20s.

9:02 AM, July 26, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

He apparently said it in 1973 (almost 40 years ago) according to his imdb page and other sources.

I muffed and looked at a quote he gave in People in 1978 saying he was looking forward to singing Satisfaction at 40 where they mentioned it was a contradiction of his earlier quote.

11:16 AM, July 26, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I want to thank this blog for encouraging me to spend part of my day searching the People magazine archive. I can't find my earlier link but here is a 1981 People magazine Article about the Stones' Tattoo You Tour mentioning that Mick (who was 38 at the time) had once vowed not to sing Satisfaction after he turned 40 (though the other sources say 45- what is the world coming when we can't rely on the facts in celebrity rock journalism?)



http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20080428,00.html

11:31 AM, July 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter