Sunday, July 24, 2011

Popular

Happy birthday, Kristin Chenoweth.  She's done TV and movies, but I think she's most at home on stage.  Her breakthrough role, for which she won a Tony, was Sally in the 1999 Broadway revival of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. She later originated the part of Glinda in Wicked, a show that threatens to be the biggest Broadway hit of all.

The original, long-running off-Broadway version of Charlie Brown from the 60s had no Sally--it had Patty (not Peppermint Patty, just Patty).  In the updating, I think the producers realized no one knew who Patty was any longer, so they added Sally, Charlie Brown's sister.  They also added new dialogue and gave Sally her own song. "My New Philosophy."  I actually don't think the new material is as good as what it replaced, but Chenoweth was electrifying enough to put it over.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one remembered Patty? 12 years ago?

I must be getting old.

11:44 AM, July 24, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Patty was in the very first Peanuts strip in 1950, but by the mid-70s she'd been completely superseded by Peppermint Patty. I remember when I was in a community theatre production of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown everyone casually referred to the character as Peppermint Patty (even though she's nothing like PP).

12:07 PM, July 24, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you might have guessed, I made the same mistake as your castmates...

6:10 PM, July 24, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter