Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shavian Maven

It's the 155th birthday of George Bernard Shaw.  Let me take this occasion to recommend Shaw The Dramatist by Louis Crompton, a book-length study.  It's not particularly well known--it was published in 1969 and I just happened to find it at my local library.  Crompton was an academic and this was put out by the University of Nebraska Press.

Crompton goes through Shaw's entire career as a playwright, but concentrates on eleven major works in chronological order:  Arms And The Man, Candida, The Devil's Disciple, Caesar And Cleopatra, Man And Superman, Major Barbara, The Doctor's Dilemma, Pygmalion, Heartbreak House, Back To Methusaleh and Saint Joan.

I've read a fair amount of analysis of GBS, and it's generally not impressive.  Perhaps that's because Shaw's plays are already so discursive that analysis often seems superfluous. (And if the plays aren't enough, there are Shaw's lengthy prefaces.)

But Crompton represents the best sort of scholarly work--learned yet easy to read.  His explications of the plays are consistent and intelligent, and, more important, grounded in an understanding of the biographical, sociological, historical and philosophical background of Shaw.

The plays are still the thing, but if you need a companion, I don't know if you could do better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My morning chuckle: "... and this was put out by the University of Nebraska Press."

4:50 AM, July 26, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm missing the humor. It's one of the top university presses in the nation. Go to their website to browse their catalogue:

http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?cid=152

9:09 AM, July 26, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm not objecting to it, and perhaps I wasn't quite reading LAGuy fairly, but I took him to be "apologizing" for both the fact that the author is a professor and that it wasn't put out by some ridiculous nameplate.

Either way, LAGuy said this was good stuff, and I both take him at his word and buy into the concept, that we judge merits, not labels.

As to whether Nebraska is "nameplate," I have no idea nor much interest (as already intimated, I'm more likely to be a reverse snob than a snob on this). But I'm hardly likely to consider a perusal of their catalog to be relevant unless done in conjunction with, presumably, 100 other catalogs. That's going to have to await the work of an academic, a marketer or a true devotee.

10:47 AM, July 26, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Academic fights are fun. Fights about academic presses even more so. The fights are so vicious only because the stakes are so small...

11:13 AM, July 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter