Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Double Shrug

I thought no one could make a movie of Atlas Shrugged.  Then, earlier this year, some filmmaker put out a version and proved me right.  Now it looks like there'll be an Atlas Shrugged: Part 2.  I'm a little surprised, considering how the first one flopped--not even grossing $5 million.

Alas, it'll be by the same people who made the first one.  They plan to open it in late 2012.  If they're trying to take advantage of the political season, sure, why not.  If they hope to affect the election...well, let's just say if Obama loses I hope they don't take any credit.

They'll need to expand their audience if they want to make money. Not easy, but not unheard of for sequels.  My suggestion would be to get a bigger budget and some stars, but I guess that's off the table. So instead let me suggest they rethink their approach.  Capture the spirit of the novel, don't slavishly recreate it (even if Rand fans grumble).  Yes, keep the general outline, the major plot points, but feel free to move things around for dramatic purposes.  And rewrite the novel's dialogue with a free hand--what's read is different from what's spoken.

More important, make the plot suspenseful.  Give the characters recognizable human emotions, and motivations, then put them in honest jeopardy, with difficult odds to overcome.  Slowly reveal secrets, and when the big one comes (which I assume is in Part 2) do it with a sense of wonder.  But then, I should know better than to tell Rand acolytes how to do their job.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sense of wonder. I like that, but will have to think about it.

And do you really not know what is in part 2? I know the novel is unreadable, but still.

The Potter movies did sort of well in this regard, sticking pretty closely to the (often poorly done) dialogue and managing the better plot issues.

Code word: ingers.

I've got blisters on my ingers. I'd be a fisherman if I could, but I'm a [friggin'] genius so I can't.

2:53 AM, October 19, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your advice is do a movie completely different from Atlas Shrugged.

Actually pretty good advice- addd some car crashes and boobs and you'll have something there (at least more logical)

3:23 AM, October 19, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I know what's in the novel. I just don't know what they'll put in the second movie of the trilogy.

Anyway, movies and books are two different things. Atlas Shrugged is a book about people who represent ideas and who tend to make long speeches. As I've noted from the start, turning that into an entertaining movie is tricky.

9:42 AM, October 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter