Monday, November 28, 2011

Roped Up, Tied Up, Dead In A Year or No More Dioramas

So no more Community for a while.  Maybe ever. On hiatus, which often means ready to be axed. (Though others rush to say don't overinterpret what's happening.)

Can't say I'm surprised.  NBC gave it every chance and it never developed much of an audience.  Though I wish they'd tried it after The Office at 9:30, and not starting the whole lineup at 8 against The Big Bang Theory.

The numbers have been small, but its following is probably the most intense of any show on the networks.  Makes you wonder if some smaller cable channel couldn't pick it up, assuming NBC drops it.  They'd keep most of their millions of fans, getting numbers which would look good on most cable channels.  Though I wonder if they could handle a lower budget.  They can't all be bottle episodes.

Anyway, let them graduate!

PS  Here is Troy's timeline from "Remedial Chaos Theory." The episode is one of the best things they've ever done, yet I realize watching this out of context means it loses almost all its effectiveness.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have faith that the cultural elite will save this show and bring it back.

I am worried about 30 Rock being on at 8 though. At least the dumb comedy "Whitney" was moved to Wednesday to die against the ABC lineup.

is it me or is Suburgatory getting better- despite what the NYT* says, I thought the Thanksgiving episode was one of their best-the otherwise forgettable party-planner girl had a great line- although I always enjoy dysfunctional family at the holidays story line).

NEG

* I gave up on the NYT article this Sunday but the writer deigns to tell what is funny and what isn't and believes all current sitcoms are pale carbon copies of the old ones. Also the high priest of humor is apparently not a fan of understatement and prefers the jokes to be bigger and less ironic.

7:52 AM, November 28, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

30 Rock has bigger problems than when it's scheduled. It's hard to keep up the humor and fast pace after five seasons.

Whitney never really fit into the Thursday lineup--not just quality-wise, but format-wise--so I'm surprised it was scheduled there. I guess NBC thought they had some sort of breakout show. Yet it didn't quite cut it compared to the comparable New Girl and 2 Broke Girls on other networks which are doing quite well.

Suburgatory, as I've noted on this blog, is maybe the only new sitcom this season I actually sort of like. It's too early in the run to say it's getting better.

The NYT article was one of those grumpy pieces that doesn't really make much sense. (What's the opposite of a "think piece"? A "thoughtless piece"?) Sitcoms may or may not be evolving, but it's weird to see today's stuff being compared (negatively) to stuff that's 40 or 50 years old. A better comparison might be the last time sitcoms ruled the ratings 10 to 20 years ago.

9:19 AM, November 28, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

My favorite sitcom of the new season has switched from New Girl to "Last Man Standing." The ABC line-up of "Last Man" and "Man-Up" is holding pretty well against a bunch of reality game shows. But Glee will be coming back and may knock them for a loop. As a previous fan of Glee, I'm starting to lose interest. It might be me, but I think it is the attempt to make real story lines.

9:38 AM, November 28, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think you have a type, LAGuy. Or else youtube does.

4:38 AM, November 29, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter