Sunday, December 18, 2011

Post Haste

My old post office was shuttered so my new post office is about a half mile farther up the street, in the heart of Hollywood.  I don't go to the post office as much as I used to (most don't, which is why they're shutting down), but I recently had cause to go there.

The first thing I noticed was a terribly long line. The second thing I noticed was the employees I'd seen at my old place, behind the windowed stations.  The third thing I noticed was they weren't serving the public. Not at the windows, anyway.  They were walking around, looking busy, but as for helping all of us in line--nothing.  There were twelve windows, and only two were active.  Then one of those workers left ("we've got two active--shut one down immediately!").

I stood in the line 45 minutes.  The line kept getting longer so for all I know I was lucky.  I wish someone had a camera and took a walk up and down the line, then past the empty windows.  Would have made a good YouTube video.  Though it's probably illegal to shoot video inside a post office. And now you know why.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have informally instituted the no Saturday delivery in my town in the last month.

6:52 AM, December 18, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

It's just indicative why government should not run businesses. We get almost daily visits from UPS, FedEx and of course the USPS. The first two are invariably pleasant (and it doesn't bother me that they may be doing so only because it is a condition of their keeping their jobs). The mail delivery person 1) changes every 4 or 5 months, and 2) about half the time over the last 6 years has been a surly person.

8:32 AM, December 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter