Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Gassin' Up

Two thoughts about filling the gas tank from this last weekend:

Here in Burlington, the price of gas at most stations is somewhere in the $3.80's for a gallon of Regular. Yet, this last Sunday I managed to stumble on a station (two stations, actually; a Shell and a Mobil, if it matters) that was offering Regular for $3.67 a gallon. Needless to say, I filled up - and it wasn't just a Sunday special. I went back the next day with my other car and filled that one up, too.

So, my first thought was to ask the other "Guys" - and anyone else who wants to chime in - what's the price of gas in your area and are there any places you know of where you can grab a tankful for considerably less than the going rate? I don't know about you, but I was shocked to see a 15 to 20 cent difference within a three or four mile area.

While filling up, I noticed a sign that had been taped on the front of the pump. The sign said that the township I was in had passed an ordinance requiring drivers to stand by the pump while filling up and explicitly stated that if the driver moved away from the pump - to clean the windshield or perhaps get back in the car if it's really cold - the cashier inside would be required to shut off the flow of gas to the pump. This was despite the pump having the latch on it that allows you to do just that.

Most of the gas stations I've gone to recently have had the kind of pumps that don't have the latch. They force you to stand and pump because that's the only way the gas will continue to flow.

So, my second thought is to ask - is this the new normal for gas pumping? Is this some EPA thing where they're so afraid of a gas spill that we have to stand at the pump in order to not overfill our gas tanks?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be worse. Last time I was in New Jersey they didn't even let you pump your own gas.

3:06 PM, March 06, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every state has its tics. I see 50 cent fluctuations in the gas price every week traveling between maine and Mass. (and while the monopoly turnpike stations are usually highest by 10 cents or more, the ups and downs are spread around usually and don't tend to be in any of the 3 states (NH is on the way).

NE Guy (not signing in since Google changed its privacy policy and won't let you delete your browsing history)

5:39 PM, March 06, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

First, i get gas right now for about $3.19 a gallon in certain parts of the Denver Metro area. But I'm seeing stations with $3.60 a gallon and more. Now some of these at least have at the ump discounts (usually ten cents if, for example, you have a King Soopers or Safeway loyalty card). Still, Bradley and Sinclair are consistently lower by a good 30 to 40 cents than the name brands like Shell. And there are a number of independents that match Bradley (they usually have older pumps that don't take credit cards at the pump).

In Colorado, the pumps have latches that let you pump without holding the trigger. We certainly are allowed to clean the windshield while pumping. But my last trip to CA I saw that CA pumps do not have the latch. The only cheaper stations I saw were the ones that required cash payment (seemed to be 5 or 6 cents cheaper).

I'm not sure how the name brands get away with charging so much more. I think often the cluster around highway exits, and so catch travelers who don't know better.

P.S. NE Guy - use the "Name/URL" choice and you can still identify yourself without invoking your Google Account.

8:38 AM, March 07, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I wish gas was as cheap as $3.19, or even $3.60, around here, Denver Guy. But the pumps do have a latch in LA, you just have to know where to find it.

10:25 AM, March 07, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter