Monday, March 26, 2012

Missing Men

The fifth season of Mad Men premiered last night and the critics like what they see.  Unfortunately, I was interrupted a few times during the first hour so I didn't even watch the second. I'll catch up later this week.  In the past, I've given (the rare honor of) day-after, beat-by-beat reviews of the latest, but we'll see this season.  Even when it's back to one hour, there are a bunch of other things I watch Sunday so I don't know if I'll have the time.

I'm prettty excited about new Mad Men, though perhaps Breaking Bad has passed it as my favorite hour, and I'm also looking forward to new Game Of Thrones (to add to my overcrowded Sunday schedule).

As I've stated before, Mad Men starts with handicap.  So many critically favored drama of the past decade--The Sopranos, The Wire, Lost, Boardwalk Empire, BB, GOT--have lots of violence to keep things moving.  MM has to find other ways to keep the viewer interested.  For that matter, though it does have plenty of sexual activity, it's not a particularly sexy show.  It's more often downbeat.

When Matthew Weiner wrote for The Sopranos, if things went slow he could always whack someone. Now he's created a show about very imperfect people with subtle interactions and a backdrop of changing times.  When it works, as it often does, small things register, and losing a job or getting a divorce is like an earthquake.

PS  Last week's Newsweek was a tribute to Mad Men, published in 1960s style.  The first reason to read the magazine in years.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Newsweek is trying every gambit in the proverbial bag of tricks to stay alive. I 'll have to check it out. I thought the Stephen Colbert guest-edited issue was pretty good but I stopped reading when they decided to dumb down what was already supposed to be a dumbed-down product.

So I have noticed Mad Men as a cultural meme but due to difficulties of various cable subscriptions, never started to watch it. Can I start with this season or do I have to go back and watch the prior seasons (I guess I could just read the LA Guy summaries though that might take longer)

11:55 AM, March 26, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

This show is a serial and really should be seen from the beginning. Not necessarily for the plot, though that would help, but to see the growth of the characters.

It's not that hard to catch up, since there are only 52 episodes before the fith season, and each one is only about 45 minutes. I believe the older seasons are also available at fairly low prices.

12:26 PM, March 26, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All streaming on Netflix. Thank you, Netflix.

2:21 AM, April 02, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter