Saturday, April 21, 2012

Get GOT

I've become a fan of Game Of Thrones and have discovered, more than for most shows, it's dangerous to follow on the web.  Because after any piece about a particular episode, if you start reading the comments section, you mix with people who've read the whole book series and don't care about dropping spoilers.

In the past, when I'd occasionally miss a Lost or Battlestar Galactica or Sopranos or whatever, I could easily avoid word for a few days until I caught up.  In any case, no one except for people working on those shows knew what was happening next, so they could only spoil so much.  But those who have read the George R. R. Martin novels don't just know what'll happen next, they know what will happen for the next several seasons.  They know how most of the characters end up, including quite a few I haven't met yet.  So you'll end up reading something like (and I'm making this up, it's not a spoiler) "I like Jaime Lannister, too bad Stannis chopped off his head" or "who would have thought Lord Renly of all people would be the first to bed Brienne?"

So maybe I should just watch the show and ignore what others are saying, but these days being a fan puts you in a community, and it can be interesting to hear what they think. One thing I doubt I'll do is read the books.  I've never really gone in much for fantasy--not as a literary form, anyway. So I'll just have to take my chances.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironically, Brienne is going to...forget it, you'll find out soon enough.

12:26 AM, April 22, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter