Wednesday, May 23, 2012

On The QT

Harvey Weinstein presented some footage of Quentin Tarantino's latest, Django Unchained, at Cannes.  Here's what Guardian writer Peter Bradshaw thought:

The footage looks good – of course it would – but it's impossible to tell what the movie is going to be like. It could be brilliant, like Kill Bill, or underwhelming like Inglourious Basterds. Well, the chains come off at Christmas and we'll see then.

Since I thought Inglourious Basterds was perhaps Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction, while the Kill Bill films were flashy but empty--the first time in his work little or no humanity shone through--I guess I know whose review to avoid when the film comes out.

3 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

Reviewers...what are you gonna do? When I was younger, I had two rules: If Stephen King blurbed a book I knew I'd like it and ditto if Gene Siskel liked a movie.

Nowadays, it's easier to know who to stay away from than who to like.

6:47 AM, May 23, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I often use Howie Moshovitz as my anti-film reviewer. He almost always likes what I dislike, and dislikes what I like.

But I love his reviews - they are well thought out and presented. He explains very clearly what he favors and hates in a movie, and except for the fact that our tastes are direct opposites, I can tell very well from his reviews if I will enjoy a film.

7:15 AM, May 23, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reviews are more fun to read after you've seen the movie then you figure out if the reviewer is an idiot or a bigger idiot.

5:25 AM, May 24, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter