Friday, June 22, 2012

Justice

I was going to write about the Critics' Choice TV nominations because I thought they were surprisingly good, but I figured they're not big like the Emmys so I'd let it go.  But now they've given the awards, and they were different enough from how the Emmys are expected to be (nominations are coming soon) that it was worth noting.

Above all, Community won for best sitcom.  About time.  For the last few years Modern Family has been getting all the attention, while Community doesn't even get Emmy nominations.  Now if only people would watch.

Louis C. K. won for best comedy actor.  Not even sure if is performance warrants it, but certainly his show deserves recognition.  Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen won for their supporting work.  Some claimed Modern Family was cutting edge, but it's interesting that at its center is a conventional--but very well done--sitcom about a goofy dad and the rest of his crew.

Homeland won for best drama.  Whether or not it deserved the top spot, it was a riveting show and, as in comedy, it can be tiresome when the same title--in this case Mad Men, as deserving as it is--wins every year.  Unlike Community, I can imagine Homeland taking the Emmy.  Stay tuned.

Just like the Emmys, Bryan Cranston was named best dramatic actor for Breaking Bad.  He's so good it's hard to give it to anyone else.  Claire Danes won for Homeland, and I think she's got a good shot at the Emmy as well.

For supporting dramatic roles, Giancarlo Esposito won--will he have to split the Breaking Bad vote with Aaron Paul in the Emmys?  And Christina Hendricks won for Mad Men. It'd be nice to see her win the Emmy as well. (On the show she sold her body to get what she wants--I'm sure a lot of actors can relate to that.)

Another surprise--Late Night With Jimmy Fallon was named best talk show.  I had my doubts when his show started, but I have to admit he's gone on to create his own niche.

Also, Archer won for best animated show.  I can't say any more than that since I haven't seen a single episode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter