Saturday, August 18, 2012

Applause, Applause

I recently attended a play and at the end we all whooped and applauded as the actors bowed.  It got me thinking--why are we doing this? I didn't think the show was that great, but even if I did, do I need to reward the actors with my applause?  They're not doing me a favor, I paid to see this. In fact, I paid a fair amount--quite a bit more (even at half price) than I would to see a movie with a $100 million budget*.  Meanwhile, the actors are getting money to do this. I should be grateful?  It's a simple transaction--I give you money, you put on a show.  Unless something is exceptional, why make a big deal out of it?

I don't think I've ever sent my compliments to the chef, and only a few times have I sent a letter to an author (usually to send a correction).  Is it only actors who are so needy that, in addition to paying them, I've got to applaud when they're done?

*Even stranger is applause for a movie.  It happens occasionally and I always wonder who are they doing it for?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great -a Randoid anaysis of theatre-going

3:51 AM, August 18, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent. Do you know how far and wide you would have to look for a Randoid analysis of theeter-goin'? (That's how we'd say it here in flyover country, except for the places we'd say it "thee-ater goin'".)

6:17 AM, August 18, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I believe one of the secondary characters in Atlas Shrugged is an actress. Since she's also on the "good" side I'm sure she always got applause, since that would mean she always gives the greatest performance possible.

9:29 AM, August 18, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. So what you are saying is, markets work?

6:33 AM, August 19, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Yes, I was in the market the other day and I saw a customer applauding the avocados.

9:20 AM, August 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter