Sunday, August 26, 2012

You're Not The Boss Of Me Now

I didn't think too much of the first season of Boss, but I figured I'd give it another chance now that it's starting up again.  After two episodes, however, the second season seems worse than the first.

The basic concept--the hardball mayor of Chicago dealing with his allies and enemies--could have been fun.  But they went way too far.  This mayor thnks nothing of having others hurt or kidnaped or even murdered.  Maybe the producers thought this was Shakespearean, but it just ends up being silly.  Worse, the mayor's been diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disease that will eventually kill him.  This doesn't complicate the plot so much as stop it cold every now and then when we want things to move forward but he's too busy with the shakes.

This season, it's only gotten worse.  Now he's hallucinating on a regular basis.  No fun.  This is like a pain in the side you want to ignore but can't.  Alas, the main action isn't that much better, with still plenty of violence and over-the-top melodrama (that is also somehow slow-moving).

Kelsey Grammer is actually pretty good as MayorTom Kane. There is something to this tough-as-nails character in his more realistic moments.  And Kathleen Robertson, as Kitty O'Neill, Kane's former aide, doesn't have much to play but is one of the sexiest women on TV.  The show is on Starz and the ratings aren't much.  I suppose it will be put out of its misery before the Mayor is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAs the left really taken over academia or does objective research and study leadto results and conclusion which antithetical to other belief systems such as the so-called right?

7:23 AM, August 26, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The former.

You seem to have left your comment on the wrong post.

7:50 AM, August 26, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to respectfully disagree with your criticisms of the show. I think that the way his disease causes the plot to come to a grinding halt, and the hallucinations confuse you are really authentic. I was talking to a coworker at Dish about some of these same things, and my point was that having a catastrophic illness actually does those things to your life. I will admit that I am a pretty hardcore fan, and that I still have all of the first season saved on my Hopper’s huge disk. Boss is a really deep show that may take more than a single viewing to really get what happens. That is why I love having all of the old ones; whenever I have a question I can usually find an answer in the past episodes.

6:40 PM, August 26, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

It's good to hear from a fan. The show hasn't really caught on with the public or the critics the way something like Homeland or Breaking Bad has, which is why I have to wonder if it's long for the world. Starz doesn't have the greatest track record, but perhaps Boss will survive and thrive--though the Mayor's neurological problems are already so great you have to ask how much worse can they get while he's still functioning.

Readers of this blog know how little I think of another Starz show, Magic City, which has a great look and not much else. On the other hand, Starz was the home of the greatest comedy of the past decade, Party Down. I still miss it.

8:11 PM, August 26, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter