Tuesday, September 18, 2012

No Couch Trip

Doctor Detroit was on TV so I thought I'd check it out.  I hadn't seen it since it was released, and I wondered if it could be as bad as I remembered.  It was.  Dan Aykroyd is a born character actor and has always had trouble carrying anything alone.

The plot is about a straitlaced professor of literature who gets involved with a bunch of prostitutes (one played by future wife Donna Dixon). Their pimp, on the run, convinces Aykroyd to take over.  He goes on to defeat the pimp's main enemy, Mom.  The trouble is nothing in the film makes sense.  There's no reason for him to get involved in the first place and once he does there's no reason for him to succeed.

I suppose I could forgive all this it there were some funny scenes, but the stuff we're supposed to laugh at--mostly Aykroyd's characterizations--aren't much.  The music isn't bad, particularly the theme by Devo and an appearance by James Brown, but it's not enough to make you forget the story.

The film flopped.  Aykroyd made some big hits around this time, such as Trading Places and Ghostbusters.  Try to imagine the former without Eddie Murphy, or the latter without Bill Murray.  They'd still be better than Doctor Detroit.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I Doctor Detroit better or worse than the Aykroyd/Candy/ Chevy Chase/Demi Moore(!) vehicle- Nothing But Trouble which a I saw bits of a few months back- its a horse race.

Crazy character guys when they are reined in. When I went to imdb to look up the title- I noticed he had a lot of crazy guy movies in the 80s - some successful, many not. Of course I found him hilarious in his big straight part in Driving Miss Daisy so what do I know?

6:06 AM, September 18, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I've heard that Aykroyd gets to play the ghost of his character Ray in Ghosbusters III. This should be a very good role for him. My concern is that Bill Murray may be too big for another stint as Dr. Vinkman.

8:05 AM, September 18, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murray's doing art house films with Scarlett Johansson for goodness sakes. I'm sure he'll find the time.

4:01 PM, September 18, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter