Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chooseday

I'm glad to see there's been a sitcom comeback over the past several years.  For a while it looked like the form may be dead, but now there are plenty.  In fact, looking over last night's schedule, I wonder if there isn't a glut.

From 9 to 10 on NBC:  Go On and The New Normal

From 9 to 10 on ABC:  Happy Endings and Don't Trust The B---- In Apartment 23

From 9 to 10 on Fox:  New Girl and The Mindy Project

Luckily, I don't love any of these shows, so I don't have to make a tough choice,* like when Community went up against The Big Bang Theory.  Still, it's odd that three networks would schedule shows that are essentially reaching for the same demographic.  Someone's gonna get hurt.

*Yes, I know there are ways to watch them when I want, but you can get behind and give up.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Nielson just sent me a survey with lots of questions about how I like to watch TV (in my case, virtually 100% DVR and online streaming). They asked if I would be willing to pay $5 a month for on demand viewing with no commercials (I said yes). I also said yes to on demand viewing with unskippable commercials for free. Of course, unless the technology could prevent it, I would probably record the on demand shows with my DVR and skip the commercials later.

I would prefer on damand viewing, at a reasonable price, because it is amazing how many times I miss a show on the DVR for any number of reasons (hence turning to online streaming, which is a hassle). I never watched Star Trek Enterprise after mid-second season because I fell behind and couldn't catch up (perhaps no great loss, but still).

7:21 AM, November 14, 2012  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I've stopped watching shows that don't do on-demand. I'm a whiny consumer and damn if I'm going to wait weeks to catch up and see what I missed.

I don't mind the unfastforwardable commercials in NBC and some other oon-demand shows- I can zone them out like normal watching.

Is "Go On" one of the most advertised sitcoms ever that never tells you when its on? I thought it was Wed night thing. Is the Neighbors tonight? Like generic cheese doodles, I can't stop consuming it

12:55 PM, November 14, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I believe Modern Family isn't on On Demand. It's one of TV's biggest hits. I wonder who makes that decision--the network or the producers? It's not the first time I've noticed a popular show isn't available. Maybe they figure "we're a big hit, screw you if you don't watch it when we put it on."

1:30 PM, November 14, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

NE - you're right - I just realized I missed the last Go On because they moved it to Friday night (opposite "Last man Standing" which I usually record that night). Yet it's back on Tuesday night this week - I don't get it.

7:56 AM, November 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter