Sunday, November 18, 2012

Monkee Business

The Monkees recently played LA. I've already explained why I didn't go see it, but I did read the review in the Hollywood Reporter.  The song list sounded pretty good, with hits but also a fair amount of surprising choices:

Last Train to Clarksville
Papa Gene's Blues
Your Auntie Grizelda
She
Sweet Young Thing
I'm a Believer
(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
I Wanna Be Free (video tribute)
You Told Me
Sunny Girlfriend
You Just May Be the One
Mary, Mary
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
For Pete's Sake
Early Morning Blues and Greens
Randy Scouse Git
Daily Nightly
Tapioca Tundra
Goin' Down
The Porpoise Song
As We Go Along
Daddy's Song (video tribute)
Can You Dig It?
Circle Sky
Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again?
Daydream Believer
What Am I Doing Hangin' Round?

Encore:

Listen to the Band
Pleasant Valley Sunday

Okay, maybe a bit too much psychedelia, and definitely too much Head, but still fun--maybe that weird stuff works better in concert, anyway.

They mostly avoided Davy songs, and when performing "Daydream Believer," they plucked someone from the audience to sing lead.  They also had a couple video tributes to Davy. I only hope the version of "I Wanna Be Free" they showed wasn't the lousy one from their album, but the good one from their pilot:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter