Sunday, November 25, 2012

Screw You

Recently, my bank disagreed with my checkbook's balance. So I visited the local branch and asked what was up.  We went over recent checks and discovered they'd paid out more for one than I'd originally written on it.

So we went to their computer and looked at a copy.  There was my signature, but everything else had been wiped clean.  It was made out to a person I'd never heard of (of course--it would be quite a coincidence if I knew the name).  The malefactor had also rewritten the amount, increasing it by about a hundred. (Guess he didn't want to go too much higher, figuring it might bounce.) It was creepy, especially seeing how all the numbers and letters were written in ways foreign to me.

The part that got to me most, however, was what I saw in the memo line: "Thank You." Did the crook know I'd see it some day?  Was he giving me the finger. (Or thanking me?)

PS Don't worry about me.  The bank has made me whole, and will hopefully capture the criminal.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Can you give us a hint how the crook got the check? Had you mailed it? Was it to a restaurant? You're the first person I've heard of this happening to, though you hear all the warnings about using checks.

7:36 AM, November 26, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

How would I know how the crook got it? I mailed it, and was told by the investigator that about thirty people will handle such a check before it's cashed. It simply must have happened somewhere along the line.

By the way, I've never sent a check to a restaurant in my life. "Monsieur, we no longer force you to wash dishes, just send a check."

10:10 AM, November 26, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I was just wondering if it was a check to abig company (if 30 people handle it, I suppose so). Increasingly we pay bills using Quicken Banking - I think they wire transfer in most cases, though sometimes they generate their own check off our account. Quicken would indemnify us if their check got stolen. Glad your bank treated you well!

3:24 PM, November 26, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter