Friday, December 07, 2012

Peer Review

The Writer's Guild Award TV nominations have been announced.  They're pretty good, if conventional.

For best drama: Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, Homeland and Mad Men. Just like the Emmys minus Downton Abbey (which I don't think is eligible).  I'm a bit iffy on Boardwalk, but the rest strongly deserve to be here.

For best comedy: 30 Rock, Girls, Louie, Modern Family, Parks And Recreation.  Not bad, though I'd like to see Girls replaced by Community (and I wouldn't mind seeing The Big Bang Theory somewhere in there).

As far as handicapping, it's not too hard to figure the favorites.  When it comes to nominations for specific episodes, four out of six are for Breaking Bad.  That used to happen to Mad Men.  While the votes may split in this category, it strongly suggests the Guild likes BB for best series.  The same situation goes for comedy, where three of the six nominations are for Modern Family. Another is for Episodes--the only case in drama or comedy where a nomination goes to an episode of a show not nominated.

Okay, enough of TV, time to start thinking about the Oscars.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

If it's at all good, I have to believe Les Mis will be the heavy favorite in a lot catagories. It will be lik ethe year Chicago reigned supreme in the Oscars.

7:42 AM, December 07, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know--a whole damn movie where they won't stop singing?

The favorite right now seems to be Zero Dark Thirty, but the early favorites often fade during the campaign.

10:35 AM, December 07, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope- its stinkin' Lincoln in a sweep. (Actually I quite liked it but I called a guy named Lincoln 'stinkin' years ago and now I can't stop)

10:39 AM, December 07, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as we're putting in our two cents, I think it's ARGO all the way.

10:44 AM, December 07, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like french fries.

12:42 PM, December 07, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argo go f### yourself

1:30 PM, December 07, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter