Sunday, December 30, 2012

Predictions from 2012

Guess it's time to look over the predictions I made for 2012.  (In a few days I'll put up my predictions for 2013.  I invite the other Guys and any readers to join in.)

I'd say I did so-so.  I was pretty accurate in domestic politics, but weak in most other areas.


American Politics:

I correctly predicted Obama and Biden would defeat Romney in a hard-fought race.  I also predicted Marco Rubio would not be on the ticket.

I was way off in predicting the Republicans would barely take the Senate, as they actually lost seats.  This happened due to some lousy candidates and excellent get-out-the-vote efforts for Obama which helped downticket, but that's an excuse, I was still wrong.  I was right that the Repubs would hold the House.

I think I was right in saying Occupy Wall Street didn't matter much. Since the Dems hardly wanted to talk about them, it's hard to believe they were the factor so many hoped they'd be at the outset of the movement.  (Compare to the Tea Party in 2010.)

I was correct that there was no new Supreme Court Justice and that they found Obamacare constitutional

Also, I believe I'm correct in saying there was no major terrorist attack on U.S. soil


International Politics:

I said there'll be trouble in Europe. True, but not the bravest prediction.  I also said the Euro will fail, which hasn't happened yet.

I also said Assad will fall, which hasn't happened yet.

And I said either Castro or Chavez would die, and though Chavez seems shaky, they're both still around.


The Economy:

I thought unemployment would dip to around 7%, but it's still up there closer to 8 than 7.

I said the Dow would be over 12500 and I was right, even with a last-minute dip.


Sports:

I said LSU would easily beat Alabama in the BCS and I was way off.

I said Green Bay would take the Super Bowl but it wouldn't be a blowout.  Well, the Giants beat the Patriots, but I was right that it wasn't a blowout.

I said the Wolverines wouldn't lose more than three games.  They lost four, but I should have added that my prediction only applied with a healthy Denard Robinson.


Popular Culture:

I thought American Idol would remain the #1 show.  After 8 years on top (and dropping for the last five) it finally sank low enough to be passed by NBC Sunday Night Football.

For the Academy Awards, I was mostly off though at least my guesses were nominated. For Best Picture I didn't trust The Artist so guessed The DescendantsThe Artist won.  As did Jean Dujardin for Best Actor rather than George Clooney.  Best Actress was yet another victory for Meryl Streep rather than my guess Michelle Williams.  I got Supporting Actor Christopher Plummer right but missed on Octavia Specer for Supporting Actress. Best Director was another Artist win for Michael Hazanavicius, not Alexander Payne.  But I did get both screenwriting awards right for Midnight In Paris and The Descendants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter