Monday, January 21, 2013

New You

YouTube has changed.  Not so long ago, if I checked out, say, some particular artist performing some particular song, on the right side of the screen there'd be suggestions for other videos that would mostly be other versions of the same song, other songs by the same artist, or similar songs in the style of what I'm watching.

Now it's gotten more personalized, and those suggestions are salted with stuff that refer to former YouTube videos I've watched that otherwise have no relation.  I don't need this.  Not only is it creepy, it's irrelevant. I know what I watched in the past, but right now I'm interested in this video, and if you're going to make any suggestions at all, just show me what this particular video might lead me, and others, to.  For that matter, I like how any time I watch the video I'll get the same suggestions, so I can go elsewhere and then return later to check something else out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

XF: Fold unit {xpqu159089-3789410} into quadrant F19CE. ERROR CODE: self-awareness.

5:36 AM, January 21, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooner or later these toys need to make money and thats when they become less useful. Thank god the internet was government-funded

6:16 AM, January 21, 2013  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I have encountered the same thing, and it makes me regret having registered an account with YouTube. If I want them to make suggestions based on all my past viewing, let them put those suggestions on my home page, not in the section that I have come to know as the "related to the video you just watched" section.

1:43 PM, January 23, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter