Thursday, February 07, 2013

Unenlightened

In the latest New Yorker Emily Nussbaum looks at Girls, the HBO show about four young, privileged, confused women making their way in New York. Nussbaum's a big fan and seems to think the second season may be better than the first. Girls has gotten tremendous media attention if not commensurate ratings--though this being HBO, the numbers aren't as important as they might normally be.

But it's not enough for Nussbaum to share her enthusiasm.  She's got to put down those--especially men--who don't like the show.  She places Girls in a tradition of art that discomfits males, thus they seek to dismiss it.  As she puts it:

While other female-centered hits, with more likable heroines, are ignored or patronized, these racy fables agitate audiences, in part because they violate the dictate that women, both fictional and real, not make anyone uncomfortable.

I've given Girls a chance. More than once. So far, I don't particularly like it and it hasn't grown on me. Sorry. And I can promise you, Emily, that's it not because it makes me uncomfortable. It's because it makes me bored.  The show isn't awful, but it's not good enough to go into my regular rotation.

Maybe some day I'll see the light, but until then, tell us what's going on in your mind, Emily, not mine.

PS  In the same piece Nussbaum notes how much she likes another HBO half-hour, Enlightened.  Sorry, Emily, I like that show even less than Girls. And not because it's, as she claims, "unnerving and out of control," but for the same reason I don't like Girls, only more so.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen Girls now twice- I though then first one funny (the conversation with black conservative boyfriend) and the second one (takes drugs and goes out on the town) not so funny- I'm interested I guess if youngsters live this way but I can see better documentaries.

9:45 AM, February 07, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the question the ratings? Good or bad? Paraphrasing Judge Judy, who gives a shat if anyone likes it, so long as people watch?

3:07 PM, February 07, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Ratings are certainly important regarding whether a show gets to stay on the air. (Except in some cases, such as premium station like HBO, where a show that gets a lot of attention and has a small but intense audience may be better than, say, a medium hit that few talk about.)

As to whether ratings signify quality, I'd have to say that relationship is a lot shakier. While I'd guess that better shows tend to have better ratings, there are too many counterexamples in both directions to take this too far.

4:35 PM, February 07, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord. It never occurred to me ratings could signify quality. And I guess you confirm not, if you're right.

Now I'm worried, though. What does it say about me that I assumed, at best, no relationship? Better go read Mencken.

2:34 AM, February 08, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A blog discussing ratings is probably less interesting than a blog discussing quality. I will watch crap and maybe that means the crap producer is a great capitalist because he gets $$ value out of crap that way but why does that matter-I mean who gives a shat?

6:49 AM, February 08, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter