Saturday, April 20, 2013

I Was Walking Down The Street One Day

I was walking down a local street when I was accosted by people requesting I sign their petitions.  They actually talk to you as you pass, begging you to do the right thing.

One was to require all genetically modified foods be labeled.  Since there's nothing specially wrong with genetically modified foods--indeed, they represent a way of feeding more people for less--this is simply a scare tactic by misguided people to try to get food manufacturers to stop doing something that's a net positive.  No thanks.

One was to stop bullying in high schools.  I favor common sense, case-by-case rules aginst bullying, but the anti-bullying movement is closer to a zero-tolerance program that shuts down basic freedom of movement for anyone daring to step outside the present-day orthodoxy.  No thanks.

One had something to do with stray animals or something like that, but by that point I wasn't paying attention.

I'm not a petition signer by nature, but come on, at least give me something to work with.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAGuy, in New England we refer to your leading comments as chum (& I took the bait). Re: GMO. With all due respect, maybe people in the world do benefit by Monsanto's contribution to better living thru chemistry, and have full bellies tonight where they otherwise might not, and I get that. However, I think for such an intelligent West Coast person, your views are somewhat short sighted. Maybe at this point we are beyond our reproductive years, where GMO could affect outcomes, but please open your thoughts to a broader reach in this regard. Don't you think people should be able to make informed decisions on weird stuff like GMO? There IS so much to it, scientifically. Tell me, would you eat a clone sheep? GMO produce is way worse, in so many ways. (Chime in VTguy & NEGuy, if you please.)

6:29 PM, April 21, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

It's not an "informed" decision, it's a scare tactic. All food we eat is genetically lmodified--vegetables and fruit and animals have been raised and changed for millenia so we can eat them. "Genetically modified" food is no different from any other food. Putting a label on such food gives you no useful information.

7:07 PM, April 21, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone who's a test-tube baby should have it stamped on their head so we don't treat them like full humans.

7:49 PM, April 21, 2013  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I'm looking forward to cloned meat - meat "grown" without the need to actually raise and slaughter an animal. And such meat can be genetically manipulated to be more healthy (less fat, etc. with all the taste).

5:21 AM, April 22, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter