Saturday, November 23, 2013

My Little Pony

Geez, losing to Iowa?

Day was, I saw Michigan football as being on par with Ohio State, but as the decades have gone by, this year I am starting to have my doubts.

Probably that's only the accident of OSU being ranked pretty strongly right now, and needless to say they've had a long history of choking during these past same decades.

Kind of sad, though, isn't it, that I'm not debating myself over whether Michigan or OSU is rising to the top of the pack, but whether OSU deserves to be there or will fall back to its more natural state. Even if they win out this year, that won't really tell me. If they have a touch of luck and win the national championship (should that be capitalized?), it still won't really tell me (but it'll have the patina of evidence, anyway).

Well, what should I hope happens next week, what was back in my day the Big Game? Truly, I hope Michigan wins and acts as spoiler. That fits the drama of the Great Rivalry. (Or it merely establishes OSU as a pretender.) Plus, you know, I'm an alum.

But after that wish, i.e., as an alternative, I suppose I hope OSU takes it all. It'll really be depressing to have Big Blue lose and the OSU do the traditional Big 10 bowl choke. And yet, that's the way to bet, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's also the end of the Michigan-OSU big game era, with the new leagues starting. I wonder if it's timing is just right.

3:01 PM, November 23, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michigan has also been surpassed by Wisconsin (3 straight Rose Bowl appearances) and Michigan State (beaten Michigan 5 out of 6 and 3 of 4 seasons winning 11 games. Michigan is on par with Nebraska -- the university with which it shared its ONLY national title (in the modern era). Thus, Michigan is fourth or fifth in the lil10 and heading further southward -- that's what happens when you hire 2 consecutive bush coaches. They still get top recruiting classes, so the blame inherently goes to the adults involved.

7:38 AM, November 24, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter