Monday, December 23, 2013

Bedside Manner

I recently had a medical appointment with a urologist.  What discussion we had was generally limited to medical issues, but he reminded me of another doctor I once went to who wanted to talk about politics.  In general, I would prefer not to discuss politics with my doctor, particularly if he's a urologist.  The last thing I need is to have any tension with someone about to perform a digital rectal exam.

Which reminds me of a story of my old friend John Baker.  He once told me he got such an exam (I can't remember the circumstances--could it have been just a regular physical?) and he tightened up so much the doctor could barely get in.  The guy told John to relax.  John told him "you try to relax in this position."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun breakfast reading.

I tried to overcome this myself by getting a cute young lady doctor. It didn't help, now I'm even more afraid of them.

3:17 AM, December 23, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter