Saturday, January 18, 2014

True Det

HBO's latest drama, True Detective, stars a couple names more commonly found in movies these days--Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.  Turns out the series is an anthology, so only this season's eight episodes will feature MM and WH.  I guess that's how you get movie stars to commit.

They play partners solving a ritual murder in Louisiana in 1995. They visit the crime scene, which seems occult-related, but already we can see a lot more is going on, not just crime-wise, but politically.  But there's more.  We see them being interviewed in 2012 about the case.  Turns out there's a new murder that seems related, so maybe they got the wrong guy?  I don't know, I've only seen the first hour.  I guess the series will move along the two timelines, investigating the two cases together.  I'm not sure if this is necessary, even if it's the "twist" that makes the show different--the original crime seems intriguing enough.

That said, McConaughey and Harrelson both do fine work, the former as a moody, philosophical detective with a mysterious past and the latter as a the family man who knows how to play the game.  I'll definitely keep watching.  I'm glad there's only eight episodes--I like a good story, but I like closure, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter