Sunday, May 25, 2014

Slim Pickens Award

Glenn Reynolds always says "Faster, please" whenever there is news from the front on the biology wars, and now he's delighted that doctors have succeeded in suspended animation.

Fine, I get it that every treatment is a good one. What's the alternative? I'd much rather have my wife be a cyborg, too, than dead. (I'm not sure it's balanced each way on the sexes, though. ColumbusGal leads me to believe that so long as the penile implant keeps working, she's cool.)

But I'm less sanguine that getting rid of death as we know it is a good thing. Plenty of people seem to like talking about how we are evolutionarily wired for this or that (and are therefore wrong footed by today's modern circumstances that don't match up to our days on the Veldt).

How will we react when the biggest factor of them all isn't a factor any longer?

So, faster, please. But what will we do when we get there?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll figure out what to do when we get there, which, believe me, will not happen in our lifetimes. Still, always good to see a pro-death editorial.

Remind me again what Slim Pickens has to do with this?

3:55 AM, May 25, 2014  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I'm guessing you're a big fan of dismissing arguments (that you don't like, of course) on the grounds that they are merely "slippery slope" arguments.

(As to Slim, for you, nothing.)

10:41 AM, May 25, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone, off yourself before it's too late.

11:49 AM, May 25, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter