Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Best Things In Life Are Relative

Here's an interesting piece in The Washington Post entitled "How much $100 is really worth in every state".  It's a map from the Tax Foundation, based on government data, telling you the relative worth of your money. (Actually, I bet the differences are starker if you want to buy a house.  For what a so-so ranch costs a few blocks from me you could get a mansion in a lot of the country.)


So my hundred bucks in California (it doesn't break it down by state regions, but it's probably only worse in Los Angeles) is worth $88.57.  In Illinois, where I used to live, it's $99.40.  In Michigan, where I grew up, it's worth $105.93.  I'm moving in the wrong direction.

You want your money to go far?  Try the golden triangle of Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this just supply & demand- things tend to be cheaper in places nobody wants to be (well housing at least and maybe other things like dining and amenities maybe not so much for rarer goods). That's why Podunk locales tend to win "most liveable" contests since housing process are figured in.

4:02 AM, September 20, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was true before the internet.

4:22 AM, September 20, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was true before fire too? Whats your point?

9:12 AM, September 20, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point is it's not true after the internet. That brings the world to you fingertips, and living in Podunk becomes the same as living on Park Avenue.

10:32 AM, September 20, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah- the power of the printed word to obscure the meaning of things. The internet changed some pricing but not all pricing and living in Podunk is probably better in many ways than before but it is not the "same as living on Park Avenue"

2:22 PM, September 22, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. I just adore a penthouse view. Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

2:26 PM, September 22, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter