Monday, September 15, 2014

The Big Ten

Today is Pajama Guy's tenth anniversary.  The blog was started by Pajama Guy himself, who is no longer with us (on the blog--he's still alive and well and living in New Jersey). He saw the blog as a political one, and often focused on the media.  In fact, his first five posts were all about the hot story of the time, Rathergate.

Indeed, that's what gave us our name.  It comes from Jonathan Klein's response to bloggers who dared to question CBS News, as quoted in the upper left-hand corner of the blog.

Here's the first post ever:

Viacom to CBS News: Good Riddance?

Is it possible that the Viacom suits aren't worried about Rathergate? After the CNN merger cratered, they may be happy to see the news division implode. What better way to get rid of Dan and the whole lot?

I joined September 19th. Here's my first post:

Hello

Hi. Thought I might as well introduce myself. I'm LAGuy. While Pajama Guy is out East in his PJ's, fingers ready at the keyboard, scrutinizing the New York Times, the Washington Post and the rest of the MSM, I'm out West at some premiere or Hollywood party (B-List).

I've been invited to share my opinions, which may be about politics, but just as often won't. Hope I fit in.
 
I think I called it pretty well.  In fact, by the next day, I was dealing with the Emmy Awards. (A few days later I gave a thumbs down to this new show called Lost.)
 
Eventually Pajama Guy dropped out, but I kept going.  There have been other Guys along the way, but I've been the main supplier of text.
 
I certainly didn't think I'd be at it for ten years.  At the start, I often wondered how I'd think of something to write about each day.  But here we are. So let's celebrate it while it lasts.

4 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Well, what do you know? I was one of your early commenters, "Heartland Sam." Ah, the path to fame. Heartland Sally liked the show, even if you didn't.

I wonder what ever became of "God of Bacon"?

3:57 AM, September 15, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting origin story. Rather overreached and relegated to silliness hell. But does anyone really think W fulfilled his national guard duties. The point was I think that nobody really cared about anything more than the tit for tat of the left-right wars

4:02 AM, September 15, 2014  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's part of the irony--that everyone thought Bush got special treatment, no matter what the evidence, so to this day some (like Rather and Mapes themselves) believe that gives them license to defend the journalistically indefensible.

9:21 AM, September 15, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree (I think). Mapes was angry about the revelations on Kerry, not understanding that showing how he'd denounced the very troops he'd served with was big news to most Americans, especially as he was running on how fit he was to command with his military experience. It had nothing to do with whether or not he was brave in Vietnam, though people like Mapes couldn't help but misread that (and misread it to this day).

So she figures she'll get her own scoop, come hell or high water, to take down Bush. Which leads her to accept a ridiculous piece of paper from a shadowy figure. The bigger irony is the story has already been widely reported from the last election (Mapes would know since she did some of the reporting) and absolutely everyone believes it (true or not) and no one cares. Mapes was so blinded with Bush-hatred--and Rather was enough of an empty suit to go along--that they destroyed their careers and to this day can't understand what they did.

10:05 AM, September 15, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter