Friday, October 24, 2014

Mama, Look, A Boo Boo

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo may not be renewed by TLC as June Shannon, the mother in the reality show, is allegedly involved with a convicted child molester.

I was taken aback.  I've never watched the show, but, as it's become part of our culture, I'm vaguely familiar with it.  If I'm not mistaken, it's about the adventures of a trashy southern family.  And the trashier it gets, the more TLC likes it. (TLC stands for The Learning Channel--it's come a long way.)

So what's the problem?  Can't the mom date who she wants?  And if he's got a checkered past, doesn't that fit the concept even better?  What's more, the guy's done his time.  Will he and everyone who associates with him continue to be punished?

I won't be watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo in any case, but my guess is after several seasons the ratings are on a downward slope, and this is either a negotiating tactic or a way of easing the show off the air.

PS  It's official, the show has been canceled.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Brownlee said...

Not to say that the Mama June clan isn't trashy, but the reason this has TLC upset is because what the show is really about is how even trashy people can have a strong sense of ethics, compassion, community, and understanding. Or, at the very least, that's what I took from it from the first season.

Mama June dating a convicted child molester really does raise a lot of problems, because it contradicts the heart of the show that was the only reason anyone could justify gawping at these country-fried monsters for 30 minutes a week.

5:30 AM, October 24, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well the Duck dudes got pulled after going over the line on gay-bashing. We can all pretend its based on morals these things only become issues when they offend (read lose revenue) more people than they enchant.

Side issue re commenting protocols: Do we really have to do the damn numbers again to prove we are not robots. I mean I think you would want the robots to show an interest and keep your readership numbers up

6:54 AM, October 24, 2014  
Blogger LAGuy said...

You may have a point, John. I don't really watch these shows, so perhaps I don't get the finer points of what's going on.

Anon: I'm signed into Blogger so I guess I bypass any checkpoints. I like robot readership as much as the next guy, but I seem to recall when we don't put up fences we get tons of robot comments, which aren't as entertaining as humans'.

9:52 AM, October 24, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter