Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Uncomma

I was just watching Parks And Recreation (only seven more episodes to go!).  Here, according to the closed captioning--which I have on as I watch--is an exchange between Craig and April:

Craig:  April, the new Parks interns start today and I was wondering if you would deliver a little welcome speech.

April:  No, go away.

Craig:  Watermelon, martinis, exposed brick, Keri Russell's hair.

April:  Why did you just say those weird things?

Craig:  On the advice of my therapist, Dr. Richard Nygard, whenever I feel like yelling I just take a deep breath and say three great things about being alive.

April:  Gross.

Craig:  Please talk to my interns.

April:  Fine. Whatever, I'll do it.

End of scene.

See the problem?  He claims he just said three things, but he said four.  I was expecting a follow-up joke which never arrived.

Then I realized what happened.  He's not saying "watermelon, martinis," he's saying "watermelon martinis." The closed caption typist got it wrong. Is it too much attention to ask for them to listen to the meaning of the dialogue to get the jokes right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We appreciate your support of civil rights. The hearing impaired should not suffer a lesser experience when the solution is so simple. (Note -this is not an absolute position- ask for things to be better, not perfect)

5:54 AM, January 28, 2015  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I think you're both batty. No person in their right mind would think of watermelon and martini as a single item. Whatever it may be, it's not a martini.

Next thing you know, LAGuy, you'll be demanding that UN interpreters change what is being said in order to bring about world peace.

4:54 PM, January 28, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

6:30 PM, January 28, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter